Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I had my first Thai language class today. It's going to be really difficult to pick up on certain things. I think it's better for us to learn specific phrases than the alphabet and numbers, but we won't be learning phrases or words for several weeks. Looks like miming will have to do for now.

Today at lunch, there were these strange little white jelly dishes at the table. We asked one of our professors, who happened to be eating next to us, what it was, and it was some sort of lunch dessert made with coconut and flour. It was really good--it basically tasted like rice pudding, nothing like coconut at all.

Two days ago, we found this small market right near our apartments that has everything you can imagine... shoes, clothes, food, jewelry, massages, mini nail salons, underwear, ice cream... It's awesome. We've been going the past few nights to wander around and eat dinner. I bought Molly a really cute tank top that's black with a gold picture of Thailand, and it says "Thailand Stand Up". It's one of those funky graphic tanks that are really popular these days... even Thai people dress ultra hip if they aren't in their uniforms.

Speaking of uniforms... sooo unattractive! My skirt is a really awkward length below my knees, so I'm going to have my friend hem it. My shirt is giant and baggy, too, but oh well--it catches a nice breeze, haha. The Thai girls dress very... provacatively in their uniforms. They buy tiny, tight black miniskirts and white shirts that are way too small. They wear 4inch heels, make-up, designer bags, and pretty jewelry to school every day. We look so drab compared to them.

I've noticed my posts have been really disorganized... but that's because so many random things happen that I can't really make it all flow together.

Anyway, that's it for now. I have class in 10 minutes, Thai Civilization. The teacher is so adorable. She went to grad school at Temple University in Pennsylvania, then taught at Washington University for 4 years. Her English is impeccable, her name is Prinda, and she's just seriously the cutest woman in the world. K bye.

2 comments:

  1. Your writing (the literary illustration of what you see) is fab...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ew you have to wear uniforms?!? so parochial...
    I loved talking to you tonight! rachael tried to buy a phone card but we've so far only found ones that reach mexico and canada.
    oh! and we saw blockbuster guy at blockbuster tonight...he still works if you didn't gather.
    i'm lonely without you!

    ReplyDelete