Sunday, September 6, 2009

Thailand!

Okay so I'm already homesick. It never really hit me that I would be SO far away until I actually got here. I'm sure that once I'm really settled in and start classes, it will get a lot easier. I mean, I guess it's just like going to college all over again, so I sort of expected feeling this way for a couple weeks.

Anyway. The food is great! I was very happy to discover that Pad Thai tastes the same in Thailand as it does in America. I'm such a picky eater that I thought eating here would be difficult, but it really isn't... lots of chicken dishes, rice, and noodle soups. So far nothing has made me feel nauseous either, let's hope it stays that way.

The apartment arrangement is very strange. There's about 10 of us in one building. When you walk in from the street, you walk into our small sitting room with a TV, which is joined to our tiny TINY kitchen (sink, fridge, microwave). There's one single bedroom on the bottom floor, which is mine! I fought hard to get my own bedroom because sharing a room with a stranger does not sound apealing to me. Anyway, then there's a very long staircase that goes up 4 stories, 2 bedrooms on each floor--they're all double rooms. Shoes aren't allowed inside, you take of your sandels before going inside. You can carry them in if you want, which is what I do because I don't wnat them to get stolen.

I'm in a province called Pathum Thani, pronounced Pah-toom Taw-nee (I think?). It's supposedly a very nice suburb, upper middle class, but that means something tooootally different in Thailand... it's dirty and smelly. The nice thing is that we are about a 5min. walk from the university, and even less of a walk from a long strip of convenient stores, internet cafes, and restaurants/food stands. Basically everything I need is VERY close!

Oh, and of course it's hotter than Hades here. You walk for 2 minutes and you're drenched in sweat. Not fun! But cold showers have proved to be amazing.

I guess that's it for now... we're getting Internet in our apartment within the week and I hope to be able to share some pictures soon.

4 comments:

  1. I just posted something else but I don't see it... Oh well. It's all good. LOVE and thanks for the correspondence. Still in FL will keep you posted. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. HELLO!!!
    This is fun! I hope you keep up your blog so I can come check it all the time and find out what you're up to! I wish I had done a blog when I was abroad... darnit!
    I am so glad you're having a good time. The homesickness will definitely go away once you make friends and get settled into your life in Thailand (life in Thailand! : ) ah! yay!). I think the major thing I was worried about with you was the food situation ; ) ... but it sounds like that won't be a problem!
    Do you have to wear a uniform? Have you gone into Bangkok at all? Do NOT go to any ping pong shows. But definitely try out Hard Rock Bangkok on someone's birthday... the celebration they do is spectacular. haha
    How are the people you're living with? Americans? Where does that boy live that you ended up traveling with? EEK so many questions-- I want to know everythinggg!
    Anyyyway, I hope I get to talk to you some while you're there and hear all about your adventures! I miss you like CRAZY-- lucky you're far away or you'd be getting a call from me like every .2 seconds. haha oh man.
    LOVE YOU BUDDY!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. chickenn! sounds like you are off to a good start! of course the beginning is the BIGGEST transition. Fighting loneliness in a foreign place is the hardest part, but I'm sure you'll make friends in no time.

    Haha, I laughed about the squids in a bag, haha, eww.

    So I can't wait to hear more about Thailand, it sounds so interesting. don't forget to ride an elephant...ok bye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doll! So glad you are there. You are going to have such a great experience. I look forward to following along with your blog. Aunt Lisa

    ReplyDelete